Mission: To develop partnerships that engages and empowers organizations and individuals to take greater responsibly to keep North Carolina Beautiful. KNCB was established in 1985 and certified as State Affiliate of Keep America Beautiful in 1990.
Focus: Litter Prevention, Beautification & Greening, Waste Reduction & Recycling. KNCB is primarily a grassroots organization assisting communities with active beautification, anti-litter and recycling programs that save tax dollars for services provided by volunteers.
Brenda Ewadinger, Executive Director (704.442.0791)
The average NC affiliate produces $34 in value for every $1 of public funds invested.*
Value: KNCB offers hands-on community improvement projects that allow everyone to take personal responsibility for the cleanliness and sustainability of their community environments. North Carolina’s beauty attracts investments through travel and tourism, business and people looking for a better quality of life. KNCB’s work in enhancing and preserving our state’s beauty is our business model.
- Great American Cleanup – KAB’s signature program and the nation’s largest community cleanup and improvement effort that occurs annually from March 1 through May 31.
On the average, KNCB affiliates and their volunteers donate more than 110,000 hours and collect greater than 980,000 pounds of litter, resulting in an approximate $2.1 million cost savings in tax dollars during the GAC.
- Tarp Day – a “Cover Your Load” educational program in which local KNCB affiliates work with their law enforcement agencies and solid waste personnel to distribute free tarps and litter prevention brochures at landfills and recycling centers.
16,600 tarps have been distributed to participating NC counties since the program started in 2009. The NC Department of Transportation developed the program with funding generated from the sale of Litter Prevention Specialty Tag.
- Community Improvement Awards – Provides grants to schools, nonprofits and individuals to conduct projects enhancing their communities. KNCB awards up to $4,500 grants to improve or enhance litter prevention, beautification or recycling projects on an annual basis.
- Most Unusual Litter Contest – Awards 1st, 2nd and 3rd place cash prizes bi-annually to individuals or groups who find usual litter during the NC DOT’s Litter Sweep program.
Held each spring and fall in conjunction with the NC Department Litter Sweep, volunteers are awarded $800 cash for unusual litter found during these two-week period cleanups.
- America Recycles Day (ARD) – KNCB assists in coordinating many local recycling drives statewide. Each year, greater than 300 recycling events and educational workshops are held in November celebrating ARD.
KNCB services a network of 36 Keep America Beautiful certified affiliates representing 32 counties that include: Ashe, Bladen, Brunswick, Buncombe, Catawba, Clay, Cleveland, Craven, Cumberland, Davie, Duplin, Durham, Forsyth, Franklin, Gaston, Guilford, Iredell, McDowell, Mecklenburg, Moore, Nash/Edgecombe, New Hanover, Onslow, Pasquotank, Pitt, Richmond, Robeson, Rockingham, Scotland, Wake, Wilkes and Wilson. KNCB seeks to grow the network with a goal to have a KAB presence in all 100 counties. For information on how to form an affiliate, contact Brenda Ewadinger.
* Keep America Beautiful validates this return on investment from data included in annual cost-benefit analysis reporting required of all Keep America Beautiful affiliates across the country.