The mission of the Carolina Recycling Association is to conserve resources by advancing recycling and waste reduction throughout the Carolinas.
The overall goal of the CRA is to promote waste reduction and recycling of marketable/recyclable materials in the Carolinas. The members of CRA recognize that:
- Recycling reduces the weight and volume, and therefore cost, of waste to be disposed and reintroduces into the economy materials previously considered without value.
- Recycling supports manufacturing. Production of everything from steel to glass, paper, packaging, automobile and construction products, and textiles are made from recycled material in the Carolinas.
- Recycling creates jobs and business opportunities. It is one of the most consistently growing sectors of the economy in the Carolinas.
- Recycling helps reduce the need for new landfills. The growth in recycling has helped increase landfill capacity in NC from 20 to 32 years.
- Recycling allows citizens to contribute to environmental solutions. Through the simple act of recycling, Carolinians save water and energy, prevent pollution, protect habitats, and conserve valuable resources.
- Recycling improves the quality of life in Carolina communities.
Education: CRA uses workshops, networking meetings, and the Annual Conference to spread the knowledge and skills of recycling professionals and experts, as well as educating members on new technologies and programs that will benefit their businesses and communities.
Public-Private Partnerships: CRA develops broad-based community alliances throughout the Carolinas and beyond, to achieve sustainable community improvement in recycling and waste reduction methods.
Board and Council Action: By engaging Board Members and Councils, we extend the reach of our educational activities and increase the impact of our efforts.