CRA Amy Preble Scholarship Application
2024 Application Deadline – January 31, 2024
The Amy Preble Scholarship has been established thanks to many generous donations from friends, family, and colleagues of a true champion of recycling, Amy Preble. The fund will provide one or more $500 awards to higher education students in North or South Carolina who show dedication, leadership and passion for recycling, sustainability, and/or waste management as determined by a committee of recycling industry professionals and CRA members.
- Applications due: January 31, 2024
- Applications reviewed by Selection Committee: January – February
- Scholarship Awards announced: February 28, 2024.
- Scholarship recipients recognized at annual conference: April 8-11, 2024
The application is open to any student that has completed the equivalent of two semesters of college or higher, including graduate programs, community college and technical college, regardless of field of study.
Applicants should demonstrate:
- Belief in collaboration and partnerships for lasting change. Knowledge and understanding of working with stakeholders to accomplish more lasting good.
- Value diversity, inclusion, and empathy, with an understanding of the meaning and role of environmental justice.
- Visionary qualities, with a real or strong potential for leadership
- Commitment to service on campus and/or within their broader community.
- Understand the role of workers and/or volunteers in their efforts.
- Have a sense of humor!
To apply for this scholarship you must provide:
- Proof of enrollment for the current academic year in an institution of higher education headquartered in North or South Carolina, and proof of at least sophomore standing or the equivalent completion of at least two semesters (The application is open to any student having completed at least two semesters of college or higher, including graduate programs, community college and technical college, regardless of field of study.)
- A formal recommendation letter from a member of the faculty or staff of your institution or community organization who can speak directly to your experience and leadership, such as a mentor, internship or volunteer organizer, job supervisor, professor or other faculty.
- Recommendation guidelines and criteria: please click here to view or download. You may download a copy at this link to share with the person you are requesting write your recommendation.
About Amy Preble:
Amy was a part of the fabric of the Carolina Recycling Association since the early 1990’s through her work at the UNC Chapel Hill Office of Waste Reduction and Recycling. She lead the Collegiate Recyclers Coaltion and served as a board member in her last years. Her optimism, charisma, and dedication to her work made her a valued colleague, friend, and leader in her field. A consummate professional, Amy was an extremely hard worker, a natural leader, and she was incredibly kind and funny. Amy valued inclusion and empathy in her work and personal life, and of course, fun and more than a little mischief. Although she is no longer with us physically, her bright light continues to shine on her collegues, friends, and family.
For more information about Amy, visit our Amy Preble Memorial Page.